I Take Your Question Meaning

About I take your question meaning, My expert search engine fu has come up empty on a half-assed cursory glance. I’d guess this is not a phrase in wide use, with conventional idiomatic meaning to unpack and rely on. Anyone using it is therefore kind of going out on a limb ass first, that is if they expect people get them, on this (easier to get back in that way, though - not necessarily a bad move! So long as you know the dimensions and configurations of the branching limb, or are generally reckless in metaphors).

I Take Your Question Meaning




They answer “I take your question meaning.” No further words. Not “I take your question meaning to be offensive,” or “I take your question meaning to be rhetorical,” or anything else? Just “I take your question meaning”!

Wow. I have no idea. I have never heard that in my life.

It’s fantastic. I mean, it has a great ring to it anyhow. But let’s see if we can find any brass, silver or iron beyond that echoing ring.

I Will Take Your Question Meaning


Same or similar to “I take the point,” or “I take your point.” “Point taken.” They mean they concede you have a point; typically an acknowledgment in passing: conceding your point, they go on to emphasize other points yours doesn’t address. The similarity with “I take your point” is too strong to pass unnoticed. By this reading, “I take your question meaning,” would mean simply “Your question - I ‘get’ it. I take your question meaning’s point.” They concede, essentially, that it is a valid question.
They really could be more explicit as to their agreement! And I suspect this phrase attempts to avoid having to do so. Acknowledgment in passing, to dismiss by way of token agreement? Passive assenting. If, as the point-takers usually do, they go on to point out a consideration or two your question’s premises or development seem to miss, that would legitimize it. Otherwise, it smacks of pure avoidance.


Without the support of widespread idiom, the meaning they intend would need to be plain from the senses of the words. Ideally, it should be quite plain.

To me that says two options, leaning heavily on context as to which:


The person using it is perhaps confused and is pulling a variant on “Point taken” changing “point” to “question,” thinking it’s a better response to a question. It isn’t really. If the question makes a point, (rhetorical question), it is responsive to say you take the point. But if the question does not make a point, and is eliciting information - to say one takes the question says nothing, if one does not then answer it.

I'll Take Your Question Meaning


I take your question meaning, is an announcement: you have heard and understood the question, and are about to answer. This seems much more straightforward, yet as phrased in your question they do not go on to answer. “I take your question meaning” is their answer. This interpretation belly-flops in such case. Further: what a gratuitous announcement! Is this the same kid who in school would jam their arm up vibrating in the air while announcing to the room, “OOO! OOO!” to signify they got it? No one ever needs to preface an answer with this kind of hero-fanfare.

Sense 1, I’d consider more sensible - only because it could potentially mean something, used this way. A way to give you the nod (very subtle nod) on a valid question, without stressing its validity overmuch. For some questions, such an approach would be absurd:

“What has quantum mechanics shown us about the quality of decision-making in the human brain?”

“I take your question meaning.”

What?! Utterly nonresponsive! The closest thing to the meaning we could take from this non-response is “I recognize your question is a valid one; no comment.” Maybe that’s just what they mean. But if so, they’re being needlessly cryptic about it. Yet for other questions, it fits snug like a bug in a glove:


This fits my sense 1 precisely. And yet…as a rejoinder, it fails to satisfy. Especially if that’s all you say. If you take a question, aren’t you supposed to do something with it? To say “Point taken,” here would be perfectly clear and responsive. The only thing “I take your question meaning” adds is a mystery - not a premium quality in attempts to communicate.

“But if as you say, I am not to tell you what you cannot do - are you not thereby a hypocrite, telling me what I can’t do?”


Upshot: questioner, this phrase has no common, understood sense abroad in the living language. Not that I’m aware of, nor that I can turn up.


A frustrating business. An interesting wrinkle, though. Thank you for your Answer request, Mike Sutherlin.


Related Posts